DJ Tiesto

So we went to the DJ Tiesto concert for 600 RD (around 20 bucks) and it was awesome. There were like 15,000 dominicans decked out with glow sticks and going crazy. Just a little background DJ Tiesto is a Danish DJ and is pretty renound for his techno. They had a sweet light show, fireworks, and even a girl dangle dancing from a hot air baloon to complete the scene. The concert supposedly started at 9 pm, we got there at 11 pm thinking that would be when DJ Tiesto would come out, but he didn´t start playing until around 1 am. At 4 am we were all technoed out so we left but it seemed like the concert was still in full swing. We had walked all around the city earlier in the day for about 5 hours so after 5 more hours of dancing to techno, I was cashed. We went with Esperanza and Carlitos who are the friends of Yaul who was the friend of Bibiana who Michael had met through Jet Blue in Seattle. It seems that if you make one friend you can integrate yourself into the friend network pretty easily. The Dominicans are all extremely nice and have been happy to show us around their country. Today we have just been taking it easy because we leave tomorrow at 7 am. Although it has only been a week I am really looking forward to going home. The Carribbean is pretty intense so it´ll be nice to get to relax back in Seattle. I do like Santo Domingo though. The city is really chill and you´ll see men sitting on their front porches just watching the day pass. It´s much more low key than Buenos Aires where I constantly felt the hustle and bustle. Although the tourist zone is really annoying because that´s where all the beggar types like to congregate. When we walked around the city yesterday we were hasseled every few minutes in the tourist part, but once we got into the regular part of the city not one person stopped us. At first the DR confirmed my expectations that I was going to a very poor backward country exploited by big international resorts but now that I am in Santo Domingo it is a different story. The city is alive in Santo Domingo and it is really beautiful. It may not be super modern but the city is arranged quite well and the neighborhoods are clean and nice. In other news I got selected to the interview stage for the Bonderman so that´s pretty unbelievable. Going on this trip, though, reminded me how hard travel is. After just one week I am ready to go back to Seattle but if I got the Bonderman it would be 8 months. Alright I´m gonna go. I´ll probably add some hindsight stuff when I get back to Seattle but this is the last post from la Republica Dominicana. Chao chao.

Comments

Peter Sloane said…
That's sweet you went to Tiesto. Happy birthday man.

Popular posts from this blog

First Week of Classes

Spanish Bull Fighting

The week after