Statistics and Updates

So I was just randomly trying to log into my blog and I noticed that my blog had 1300 views. I clicked on that and this page popped up:
 

So, I have to say I am very confused about who could be reading this blog in Russia, Germany, and China. Perhaps it is spybots or something. I guess it´s kind of cool, but also kind of creepy. Anyway, here´s a brief update.

Martes: Fuimos a la piscina. At six the festival started with a huge costume party in the town square complete with super soakers, a live band, and free sangria. The town had purchased a 2 square meter bin, and it was full of sangria and huge blocks of ice (you can do the math on how many gallons that is, but it´s 54 square feet). It was free to anyone in the town who wanted it. The idea of 1) publically sponsored alcohol and 2) no real limitations to its distribution are concepts that are very foreign to me and would surey invoke litigation in the United States faster than you can say España. They also had free salami and bread. They say that Spain is in an economic crisis, but apparently Guijuelo is the second richest city per capita. I guess the pork business is recession proof.

Miercoles: By Wednesday I realized that despite my effort to overcome the 8 hours of time difference between California and Spain, I had reverted back to San Francisco time. This was not caused by a lack of effort on my part, but rather the Spanish lifesyle. The routine goes something like this:
1) Party until 6 am, or 10 pm California time
2) Sleep untl 2 pm, or 6 am California time
3) Have lunch *read breakfast* at 3 pm, or 7 am California time
4) Enjoy the day, or what´s left of it
5) Leave for the party at 2 am, or 6 pm California time
So essentially, if you come to Spain there is no jet lag to overcome, because on an absolute basis, Spaniards and Americans are awake at the same time of day. Wednesday we also went to the bull fighting, which was so incredible that it deserves its own posting with pictures and video. Soon to come.

 Jueves: Woke up at 2 pm, in accordance with above, and had lunch with Sandra´s family. We´ve actually done this every day. So far the meals have been very Spanish: Paella, chorizo, berinjela frita, some sort of sandwich lasanga thing that was like stacked sandwiches covered on the outside with a mayonise sauce like it was a cake or something, something similar to ceviche, patatas (not papas), cabrita (little goat), and virtually every cut of pig. I am told every part of the pig is eaten including hoofs, tail, ears, tongue, and face. I actually had some fried face before knowing what it was. But once I knew, I continued eating it because it was actually pretty good.

Viernes (today): Just woke up. We are leaving Guijuelo (Shelton) and going to Salamanca (Olympia) by train. Just 30 miles. At some point I am scheduled to play some sort of badmittony tennis game against some of Sandra´s friends so we´ll see how that goes.

General thoughts: The whole world talks about how Spain is in an economic crisis; however, from what I´ve seen, the quality of life here is much better than in the United States. In this little village of 6,000 people, you don´t need a car, parents let their kids roam the streets with the friends because everybody knows everybody and the elderly stay out until 2 am and enjoy the nightlife scene. I like how inclusive it is to have people from ages 1 to 90 enjoying the festival and the nightlife. The people I´ve talked with said that no matter how bad the crisis gets, they will never stop going out and getting drinks and tapas with their friends. This little village of 6,000 has about 12 bars in its center, which is pretty impressive.

 Hope all is well and look for the post on Spanish Bullfighting to come. It´s not for the faint of heart.
Un abrazo a todos,
-Taylor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Week of Classes

Spanish Bull Fighting

The week after