The drone... becomes... an... EXTRACTOR

Maybe I am cynical, but my experience in DF today has taught me that if someone comes up to you with a question, such as what time is it? Where are you from? Do you speak English (in English) or any combination of those three (basically Talk to Me!) they do not have good intentions and they are trying to scam you in some creative way. Today I felt like a d-bag because by the end of the day I simply would not talk to people that bothered me in the street. I know I am a gringo and white skin = stupid + money, but holy shit. Dejame tranquilo, sueltame en banda, no me molestes.

Anyway, besides that, walking around DF for about 5 hours today was enjoyable. It was a Sunday so everyone was out strolling, eating ice cream, and generally being very cheerful. The hostel is definitley a party hostel and running like an well-oiled machine. At first I thought it was awesome that dinner is included in the price of the hostel as I have never seen that before, but now I understand it´s part of their business model. You see, the hostel doesn´t allow outside alcohol and the only alcohol allowed is that which is purchased at the bar. Dinner is from 7-8. Pretty early, right? Right. By having a free early dinner the hostel ensures that people will come back from wherever they are to have food, and likey drink. When drinking begins at 8 p.m. the hostel has a lot of potential to sell muchas cervezas and make mucho dinero. Bravo.

But I´m not really here to party. My goal is to perfect my Spanish so I have stayed away from the drinking and gone in search of books in Spanish. One speaks suprisingly little when traveling alone, so for me to get better at Spanish I am going to have to change my tactics and take a language class or get involved in some sort of an organization that involves interaction. I´ll likely do this in Oaxaca. I am also toying with the idea of hiring a college student to tutor me as this would be much cheaper than taking an established course.

Dinero: Mexico es super cheap. The exchange rate is around 13 to 1 and lunch today cost me $26 pesos without a drink. According to the couchsurfer Ulises, though, one must only eat at places that are established (aka no carts), otherwise cleanliness is a huge concern especially with non-cooked products like fruits.

Alright, talk to you later. It´s almost time for free dinner! What a treat.

Comments

mom said…
Yes, find a language school or hire a college student. No better time to learn the language than NOW!
Peter Sloane said…
Haha, nice title and I'm glad you were able to find the hostel. I would of felt bad if I sent you to the wrong place.
Anonymous said…
I can't wait any more to learn Spanish!!!!
I though about the idea of a spanish immersion in Argentina... If you were me what would you do?
I'm some kind of lost........
Anonymous said…
help!!!!!!!!
"ayuda"

Popular posts from this blog

First Week of Classes

Spanish Bull Fighting

The week after