El Lunes

Leaving D.F. tomorrow and heading to Puebla to visit Paulina, Gilda, y Karla. Pretty chill day. I bought a novel in Spanish and Spanish grammar book for a total of $100 pesos or about USD $7. I´ve tried to begin studying but we´ll see how long I last. I was super ambitious and got the novel Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man, which is not an easy read. The historic district is super busy at all times. Stores compete in blaring their music over the noise of traffic and street vendors selling the most ridiculous stuff. A pen with 10 colores? Really? The best is when you get on the metro because these guys wear backpacks with stereos, blast music, and try to sell you pirated cd´s.

I went to the Merced today, which is a retardedly large indoor flea market with narrow corridors and hanging merchandise that was not hung with a 6´3¨ gringo in mind. Getting to the Merced was more interesting than actually being there because I passed what appeared to be a area popular for prostitutes to attract cients. It was a very busy road so I felt safe, but having prostitutes click at me as I walked by was a little uncomfortable. Plus, some of them were just straight up fat. If it were me, I would take a little more pride in my profession.

At around 5, I met up with Ulises again at his university which only has 200,000 students. It´s called Universidade Autonima de Mexico. Tuition is 20 centavos which is the equivalent of about 15 cents or so, so it is purely symbolic. Ulises took me to a part of town that actually seemed livable. It was called Coyoacan or something like that. It´s impossible to pronounce half the names of things in Mexico because they have indigenous origens.

So now the plan is to go to Puebla until Friday and then Paulina, I, and others are road tripping to Oaxaca for the weekend. I´ll likely stay there and try to find a language school. I´m told that Puerto Escondido (Hidden Port) is a cheap beach town that might be perfect. Hasta luego.

-Señor Taylor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Week of Classes

Spanish Bull Fighting

The week after