Karma and Golaso

Well, as you may remember, I destroyed my soccer karma three weeks ago or so when I accidentally smashed a kid's lip open and he had to get 6 stitches. My karma balance was wiped clean on Monday when I got a black eye, sprained thumb, a bruised quadriceps (I know what you're thinking, and no it's plural even though it only applies to one http://wsu.edu/~brians/errors/bicep.html), and raspberries burn marks on the length of my right arm. But it's not so bad because you have to know the story behind it. Alright, we made a team of exchange students and about 6 of us are decent players and then we have a shitty goalie, a shittier Argentine, and two exchange students that are worse still. The first game we admittedly got trounced 7-0, but the score didn't really reflect our skill. The second game, which I missed because I had to get the stupid pre-travel abroad health screening for UW, we got raped 14-0 (the other key player also missed this game). This time things were different. Number one: shitty goalie wasn't there. Number two: shitty exchange students realized they were shitty and didn't sub themselves in. Number three: Myself and our center back were there. So we actually fielded a decent team and at half time it was 0-0 and we had a few good opportunities to score. In the second half, shitty Argentine decided to sub himself in. The shitty Argentine is the trifecta of badness.
1) Flat out he's bad at soccer
2) He's lazy and out of shape. Some players can compensate for their badness by working harder. He is not one of them.
3) He doesn't realize his own badness and therefore insists on playing and refuses on subbing out even when he can hardly catch of breath because of factor number 2.
You may think I am being harsh, but the aforementioned description is objectively based in facts. Now you're asking, "well why the hell is he on your team?" Two more factors contributed to this: 1) In order to sign up you need 7 people. On the day of sign up we were 6.
2) Due to factor number 3 from the trifecta, he misrepresented his skill level to us when we inquired about what position he played, his experience, and how good he was.
Alright, back to the story. So shitty Argentine subs into midfield and everything goes to hell. He doesn't mark on defense, and he is a black hole on offense. A black hole means that if you give him the ball, you can be assured that you or anyone on your team will never, ever, get it back. It's like an automatic turnover. Anyway, while he was being shitty, the rest of the team was trying desperately to compensate for his destruction of the equilibrium. Keep in mind it is 7 v 7 so 6 field players. If one of them is bad that's 16.66667% of your team. Not to mention the fact that he was negative player which could have dropped our team to 75% of our potencial. I would way rather play without one player, than to play with a terrible player. But, all joking aside, I hate him. I don't know if you can tell. Anyway, the other team ended up scoring with about 10 mintues to go. I was pissed, and I went on a terror. I was like Floyd Landis in that stage of the Tour de France in 2006 minus the drugs. I took a direct free kick to the chest to prevent a goal, got a yellow card, and I made two American style crunching tackles that I am pretty sure rattled the Argentineans (the style of play is much different here, more finesse, less force). At any rate, the Argentinians got much more timid on the ball and we started forcing bad passes and getting good shots and we subbed out shitty Argentine; but we still couldn't finish. With 2 minutes to go one of the Argentinines tried to retaliate and did a cleats up tackle from behind to one of our players and got a red card. The player who he did it to started pushing and yelling at the Argentine and in the end both were ejected. In the last minute, I stole the ball in the back field, did a one-two (wall pass), burned the shit out of their best player (who plays on the San Andrés team), and scored far post. As I was shooting, I was simultaneously being tackled, which is from where all my injuries resulted. The last thing I remember is shooting, being tackled by the other team, looking up a second later to see ball swish into the net, and then being tackled in joy by my team. As soon as the other team kicked off the ball the referee blew his whistle and the game ended a 1-1 tie. But a tie isn't so bad considering we had lost the two previous games 7-0 and 14-0 (again I was not part of the second one). So although my black eye looks pretty bad, and despite the pain in my thumb, and raspberry burns on my right arm and shoulder, it was totally worth it. I've never scored a goal like that before in my life and I don't know if I can expect to again. Plus, I've zeroed out my bad soccer injury karma.
Other news, time is flying by. Apparantly there are only 4 more weeks of school plus the finals period. Holy shit. Spanish is doing well but I want to be better. Professors, formal dialogue and readings are fine but still I have trouble with casual speech especially among people my age. Also, my blog output has dipped severely. Everything seems so normal it's harder to find content to write about in my blog. Ok, I'm tired and I have school tomorrow at 9 am but they had daylight savings on Sunday so it feels like 8 am. Later.

Comments

Unknown said…
this has been a bad week for our family and injuries... peter also got a rasberry burn on his leg from a biking accident

Popular posts from this blog

First Week of Classes

Spanish Bull Fighting

The week after