Edwardo Litro Manos

As Borat would say the party was "great success." Everyone loved the idea of having your beverage duct taped to your hand. Unfortunately the duct tape cost $100 pesos, which is a ton of money down here. In the US you can pick up a roll for a few dollars, but I had to buy it because I had promised everybody we would play it. I don't know what it is, but something is innately funny to seeing somebody duct taped to beer bottles. During the party I was in charge of duct taping and I took a few liberties. The basic rule I had was both hands had to be taped in someway so you couldn't use them. One girl wasn't drinking, so the only logical thing to do was to tape here hands together. Other people hand their hands duct taped to plastic cups, and beer cans. If a girl complained that two liters of beer was too much, I simply taped both her hands to one bottle. It was amazing. Also, we didn't get in trouble with the neighbors or anyone even though we weren't being very discreet with the sound. There are two very good Argentinean drinks that don't exist in the US, or if they do exist aren't very popular. One is Gancia which is a 15% alcohol drink that has a lemony taste, mix with sprite and ice for best results. The other is Fernet which has a very distinct flavor that I don't care for. This is 40% alochol and people drink it with Coke. After the party we went to a boliche. When we were outside the boliche one of my Argentinean friends said, "Alright, I have to go use the public bathroom." "There's public bathrooms in Argentina?" I asked. "Oh yes, lots" he responded. So I followed him a block or so till we arrived at a small park. He pointed from tree to tree saying "There's a public bathroom, there's a public bathroom, and there's a public bathroom." Awesome. Here is a picture of an excited Argentine playing Edwardo Litro Manos and the girl who had her hands taped together.














I started in the soccer game we had today as the right defender. Unfortunately we lost 2-1 even though we were superior to the other team. They got a crap goal off of a rebound on a corner after about 20 minutes. We answered 10 minutes later with a header goal off of a indirect free kick. Apparently in Argentina there are time-outs during play. I've never heard of this or seen this with the exception of a poorly made Disney movie, and I'm pretty sure they just did it because they didn't understand the rules of soccer. Each coach is allowed one time out each half, so up to 4 total time outs. It's really weird, but it might make more sense when we play in the summer and everyone is dying of thirst. Anyway, they scored about 15 minutes into the second half off of a crap goal on a free kick. The ball was kicked and the keeper thought the other team was going to flick it in, but they ended up not touching it and the ball weakly bounced in. It was retarded. We couldn't score after that. In terms of my play, I played decently. No mistakes defending which is good, but I didn't do that much offensively because we were playing 3 defenders in the back which means I couldn't get forward as much.

Recently a difference between French culture and American culture has come to light: Burping etquette. Burping in the US is technically rude, but amonst friends I would say it is totally acceptable. My french roommates classify burping on the same level as openly farting. This seems outrageous because you can't smell a burp (... usually) and it doesn't disrupt anything. Even if I am in another room and I burp my roommates call me on it. If I have gas in my stomach, I feel I am entitled to release it without being harassed.

I just got back from a Mexican Themed party thrown by one of the exchange students from Mexico. Hoy es el Día de Independencia de Mexico, not to be confused with the American created holiday el Cinco de Mayo which celebrates an important battle when Mexico defeated the army Napolean the Third. The party was in San Telmo and it was one of the most unique homes I have seen (not as good as the one with the pool and fire pole though... sigh). There were house plants everywhere, high ceilings, orange and blue walls, and the flat was the second story above a courtyard which it looked out on. Although San Telmo is more dangerous at night, it might be worth staying there because this apartment was amazing. Hopefully I can find some photos. Also, my Spanish was really good tonight, probably because I was talking to Mexicans and Colombians because they actually pronounce the words they are saying unlike Argentineans.

I just looked into how I have to receive the package you sent, and it is fraught with inconveniences. The guide book of Alix (I am getting out of the habit of using the appostrify "s") Alix's guide book says that if the package arrives, I have to go to down town retiro to pick it up and wait in a long line and pay duties on it. Which company did you send it with and is there a tracking number? Luckily nothing of extreme value was sent. That's all for now.

I made a video with a lot of the pictures from the party. Nothing special. The song is the kind of music you hear in the boliches, Electronica.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Week of Classes

Spanish Bull Fighting

The week after