Taylor's 14 Points

It's been a while since I've made a meaningless list so here we go:
1) I understand the thought behind making toilet paper with cute drawing of puppies on it, but in practice, I just feel bad because I am wiping the cute puppies' faces in my poo.
2) I had my first mid-term today, my topic was selected at random and I had to answer how the inter war years between the First and Second World War marked the beginning of the decline of European dominance in International Relations. A pretty good question really. I wrote it in English and finished with 1 minute to spare. The professor speaks Spanish, English, French, and Arabic, any of which the students could answer in.
3) I received a note today saying I need to go pick up my package. Hope is not lost.
4) I bought three t-shirts today for $20 pesos each to add some variety to the 5 t-shirt rotation I have been sporting for the last 74 days.
5) Yesterday, my efforts to go to San Andrés to study were foiled by a train strike. Train strikes are common I guess, and the signs just said "X" for everyone to understand that this meant "no train due to a strike." Good thing it wasn't today because I had an exam.
6) I saw a mentally challenged old man standing outside of a small boutique store with a yellow carnation that he wanted to give to the young lady who worked there (he had good taste too I might add). But she refused to buzz him in and so he was left outside alone with his flower. It was really sad. This led me to considering the fine line between cute and creepy. Surely a 8 year old boy with a yellow carnation who had a crush on the young lady would be cute. I guess there is no place in the world anymore for mental challenged old men with crushes. Pity.
7) Every morning when I walk to the train early (7:30 or so) every single shop keeper is out in the street (usually men) with big black rubber boots hosing off the sidewalk with water. After they hose off the side walk they use squeegees to dry it off, but they have done it so many times that their movements are almost rhythmic like a dance. Extend, pull, lift, slide. Extend, pull, lift slide. Extend, pull, lift, slide. It gives my mornings some structure at any rate.
8) I would never eat caramel with bread for breakfast, but I would eat dulce de leche with bread for breakfast. There is little to no difference between dulce de leche and caramel. So although A=B, and B=C, A does not equal C.
9) Every single soda or juice product that I have seen contains a small but noticiable warning on the front: "Bebida Sin Alcohol." I think it's warning you that you are about to consume a non-alcoholic beverage and that you should strongly consider getting something WITH alcohol.
10) Happy Birthday Dad!
11) The San Andrés soccer team lost again on Saturday which is pretty frustrating. 1-0. I had a pretty good knock to the face when the foward of the opposite team, myself, and the goal keeper all went up for the same ball. Right in the jaw too. I couldn't eat hard hard foods until two days ago.
12) Today I had lunch with an Argentinean after we finished our mid-term exam. We went to the nearby marina and I had a sandwich with milanesa, tomate, y lechuga con agua con gas and it only cost $12 pesos or 4 bucks. Everyone hear drinks agau con gas or carbonated water instead of regular water. Anyway, when we were about halfway through lunch two very cute Argentinean girls that he knew came and joined us for lunch. That's what I'm talking about.
13) The people here a racist but they don't realize it. The world negro is used all the time and in a variety situations. If I need to work really hard, I might say "necesito trabajar como un negro" (I need to work like a black). If something is just generally bad you could say "Ah, negro." And negro is applied to the lowest class of Argentineans that are more mixed than the white upper class. Argentina is like 97% white I think. During the Boca-Independiente futbol match the kid behind me was shouting "Negro sucio" to the referee who was more of a light light brown. I agree that we are over cautious with racial bounderies and political correctness in speech in the United States, but I think this use of negro is a little much.
14) Honestly, I wasn't expecting to get to 14 and pretty much everything I wanted to say is in the preceeding 13 points. Have a good day I guess. Read the other points again if you want. If not don't. Happy Birthday again Dad!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Week of Classes

Spanish Bull Fighting

The week after