Fat Man and Little Boy

The soccer party on Saturday was great. I caught a ride with some Argentinean and we piled six people into a car the size of a Geo metro. When I arrived to the party I saw a ping pong table and I thought, "Great, we're going to play beer pong;" however, much to my surprise the table was only used for playing actual ping pong. How strange. I was, however, successful in exercising some good old fashioned American hegemony by organizing a game of Kings. They showed me some of their games and they mostly involve numbers and strategy in comparison to American games that involve obscenities and chugging. I had a great time and even learned the basic steps for Cumbia which is the equivalent to Country in the US. Argentina is great because now I am an acquaintance of all the girls I met at the party so whenever we see each other at school we exchange kisses. This is a blessing and a curse because some of these girls are really cute and it's like a tease to only be able to kiss them on the cheek. But I'll take it.




Ping Pong Empanadas Quilmes (Brand of Beer)
I have been spending a lot of time the past few days thinking about the possibilities of a Bonderman scholarship. If you are unfamiliar with it, it a scholarship for $20,000 to travel the world for a minimum of 9 months; however, you must travel alone and cannot participate in any program of any kind. Additionally, Western Europe, Australia, USA, Canada, and New Zealand are off limits. Essentially, you get a fat chunk of money to wander the world and do whatever you like. I intend to apply for it when I get back. Although it's unlikely I'll get it, it's incredibly exciting to contemplate the possibilities. My current plan includes spending time in Brasil, Turkey, India, and China. But I wouldn't spend much time in hostels. I would try to use contacts to live with families so that I could escape the party all over the world mentality that seems to have become the creed of backpackers. (pretty intersting editorial regarding this I found from a man who has traveled the world for the last 9 years: http://www.vagabondjourney.com/2008-travel-blog/1013-backpackers-travel.shtml) I also found a funny quote that I could probably use in some future speech:
"Life is like a more complicated version of a Chinese menu. You can
have one item from column A and one from column B and one from C, but
if you get the smoked salmon in column C then you cannot have the rice
noodles in column B......... Oh, you had egg drop soup for lunch?
Well, then, you cannot now have Fried Ice cream for desert....."
For once watching tv is something constructive I can do with my time. I have begun to watch a bunch of Simpson's and Family guy dubbed over in Spanish and it's helping me to understand more things. The only flaw is that the Spanish spoken appears to be more Mexican Spanish than Argentinean Spanish.
I still haven't cut my hair since coming to Argentina. Everyone down here has really long hair so I went with it. The only difference is that their hair is dark and mine if pretty god damn blond. I think I'll shave it eventually but right now I am rocking the mini-fro. One of the shirts that I brought to Argentina says "Frolo: Theta Chi" (Frat + Tolo = Frolo). Anyway, I liked the shirt because I knew that nobody would understand what it meant, English speakers included, and it would therefore be a good International shirt. It has come to my attention that the word Frolo is very similar to the Argentinean slang word Trolo. Trolo means gay. Thus, if my shirt was partially obscured by an onlooker, their could be some confusion. Looks like I am one less shirt.
I heard about the UW-BYU game and I watched the video online. It seems like a bad call, and an even worse rule. Referees should have some discretion with regards to excessive celebration. The fact that a ball left his hand with upward trajectory doesn't necessarily constituite excessive celebration. It should be taken into context. Anyway, doesn't seem like UW football can ever get a break.
I finally bought my own mate supplies and I'm excited to show you guys how it works. You drink a crushed herb mixture called yerba out of a gourd with nearly boiling water. The straw you use it made out of metal and has a strainer at the bottom so that the yerba can't enter. One person drinks all the liquid, you pass it, and the next person drinks. The first two cups are really strong and most people dump them out. After that though, it is great. For some reason it's only popular in Argentina and parts of Chile.
That's it, I'll leave with this really interesting quote I stumbled upon when I was looking at the blog of the guy who has been traveling for 9 years. It's pretty quixotic but I really like it.
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face
is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs
and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the
great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best,
knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he
fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall
never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor
defeat." Theodore Roosevelt
Suerte.

Comments

Unknown said…
the Chinese menu quote reminds me of "life is like a box of toilet paper..."

Popular posts from this blog

First Week of Classes

Spanish Bull Fighting

The week after