Los Ultimos Días y finanzas

Hola todos,

I´ve been in DF for the past 3 days in the barrio Condesa, which is much nicer than the Historic Zone. If I compared DF to Buenos Aires, I would call the Historic Zone San Telmo and I would call Condesa Palermo. Before I came to Mexico City everyone said, "Ewww, Mexico City. Isn´t it really dirty there?" Yes, some parts are dirty like any big city, but Condesa is actually quite spectacular. Outdoor parks, quiet streets lined with trees, and little cafés. Easily liveable.

But now my trip is done. Just one more night out with a girl I met from Seattle who got the scholarship I want to get this year. I´m pumped for Oktoberfest! Time to get back to real life I suppose.

More notes about Mexico in list form for easy digestion:
1) The metro has a section for women and children at rush hour. While I suppose this is good for the women and children, it leaves the men to themselves to duke it out in the back cars. At rush hour, the metro is well over capacity. This results in people forcing themselves into the cars by leveraging their entire body weight against the doors of the train to get in. Literally, by the time everyone is in and the doors have closed, you see peoples faces squished against the glass as if they were fish.
2) Mexican Museum of Anthropology sucks. Never go.
3) Wednesday is movie night at the Cinemax near the Hidalgo stop. Tickets are just $35 pesos... if you´re ever in the area.
4) People from Mexico City are called Chilangos.
5) Like Argentina, you cannot place any toilet paper in the toilet. Consequently, the garbage is filled with poo paper.
6) Mexican Beers: Pacifico, Corona, Sol, Dos XX, Victoria, Leon, Modelo, Tecate
7) The US Embassy is surrounded by barracades that prevent people from congregating in front of it. I guess there are a lot of protests there
8) Starbucks is alive and well in D.F.

This trip also served as a way to test how much it costs to travel when you are spending money only on what you need. Anyway, like a good accountant I tracked every single purchase I made over about $5 pesos. The results are as follows:
Food: $171
Accomadations: $250
Drinks: $71
Transportation (excluding air): $153
Other (ex/ sun block, Spanish class, books, gifts): $92
Sub-total: $737
Air: $400
Total: $1137

If you break that down to a per day basis for 35 days (excluding flight), you are looking at about $21/day. I am pretty pleased. This means that if you can get a flight somewhere, you can live there for 6 months for under $4,000.

My flight leaves tomorrow at noon with a 3 hour lay over in Houston. Should get into Seattle around 8 pm. See yall soon.

-Taylor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Week of Classes

Spanish Bull Fighting

The week after