YouwannaOaxaca?

Well, my host family kind of sucked. Actually no, let me rephrase that, my host old women really sucked cock. She was one of those lifer hosts that has been hosting people for so long that she doesn´t really give a fuck anymore. She basically ignored me and was quiet in her room. It´s really creepy being in an empty house that you are not familiar with. Plus, she was charging me $16/day which is steep in Mexico. Needless to say I got the fuck out in two days.

My trip has kind of been random in that way. Here I was thinking I was going to spend 3 weeks studying Spanish and doing a homestay, but both turned out to be terrible. Now I am in a hostel and much happier. I am getting over my dislike of being touristy. Sometimes you just have to be a freaking gringo and not give a shit. The last two days have actually been quite good. Yesterday I went to an archaeological sight and met a women of about 60 years old who was really interesting. Her husband had eloped with a 25 year old meth addict and subsequently died. She got the house, which she sold along with all of her possessions and loaded up a minivan and drove to Mexico on her way to Grenada, Nicaragua (which many have told me is very nice). In the 70´s this women may or may not have smuggled illegal substances from Colombia. It's funny how honest you can be when you are travelling because you know nothing of what you tell someone will get back to you.

Today I went to a much more impressive archaeological ruin, but I didn't have the luck of finding anyone interesting. I also forgot my camera. I think I am getting over my cameraphobia as well. That is, I normally take almost no pictures, but I think I´ll take more. I've found a place to play pick-up soccer on Sunday and it was legit. It was a basketball court with two goals and we played 5 on 5. The ground was concrete and very sandy, which made things quite difficult. I was playing with teens but they were pretty good. Obviously, I was better because I am older and bigger, but I was impressed. They called me juero of course, which means something like White Boy. I´ll be going back today. It's quite a work out as well because we are at 3000 ft elevation.

On Friday or Saturday I will go to the Oaxacan coast most likely. None of my plans are fixed. I'm still not really sure what I want to do with the rest of my time. The time frame is really to short to set up any volunteering or WWOOFING as those require at least 2 weeks, but usually planned well ahead of time. I think going to the beach and playing soccer for a couple of days will be good, and when I get bored I´ll do something else.

That's it. Julianne is getting better at blogging. The part about confusing cebollas with caballos had me cracking up. Hasta luego.

-Taylor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Week of Classes

Spanish Bull Fighting

The week after