San Cristobal

Hola todos,

My host in San Cristobal has been very hospitable and this weekend showed me most of San Cristobal. The highlight, though, was at her friends going away party when they paid for a 4 person mariache band to play 8 or so songs como despedida. The best song, though, if you are ever in the presence of a mariachi band to request is El Rey. When a Mexican hears El Rey, it is in their genetic code to stop whatever they are doing and sing along.

I decided not to go to Guatemala because the cross border trek would have taken about 8 hours each way. Not worth it in my opinion. Instead I am going to DF (Mexico City) tomorrow at 5:30. My host Eri was crucial for this because I was going to pay around $900 pesos at the bus station I arrived at for a ticket. She informed me that I can take a similar bus that stops more frequently for just $350 pesos. Done.

Today I went to an indigenous town that is about 20 minutes outside San Cristobal where the majority of the inhabitants speak some sort of Nahuatl hybrid language. This town was something else. First of, the males all wear these fur tunics and the females all wear fur skirts in addition to the baby they have strapped to their back in a blanket. Most of the women have their hair braided into two with fabric woven in as well. The center of this town was the most bustling market I have ever seen with fruits, vegitables, beans, bright clothing, shoes, and the like crowded together leaving narrow paths for people to navigate.

A little bit of history about this town called Chamula, there is a anti-Mexican movement occuring in Chiapas in rural villages like this called the Zapatista movement, which according to wikipedia aka the source of all knowlege: ¨is a revolutionary group based in Chiapas, the southernmost state of Mexico. Chiapas is one of the richest states in Mexico but suffers from massive inequality and poverty. Since 1994, they have been in a declared war "against the Mexican state," though this war has been primarily nonviolent and defensive against military, paramilitary, and corporate incursions on their territory. Their social base is mostly rural indigenous people but they have some supporters in urban areas as well as an international web of support.¨ Because the town is autonomous from Mexico, it has it´s own police force which consisted of men wearing what can only be described as funny costumes carrying these big ol´ skulll cracking sticks. Never felt safer.

This was the first time I have couchsurfed in a while and it made me aware of the disadvantages of couchsurfing.
1. You probably aren´t centrally located in the town you are visiting
2. You will feel awkward in someone elses house in terms of using the kitchen, shower, or tv
3. You are very dependent on your hosts schedule

Don´t get me wrong, I love couchsurfing but I think that if one is planning on traveling the best combination is to find couchsurfing for Friday, Saturday, on Sunday (days when someone is more inclined to host you anyway), and then to stay in hostals Monday-Thursday. If you are being realistic, you could never continously couchsurf as it requires a lot of planning and foresight. This formula, though, could work great for travel.

Costs in Mexico:
Beer in a bar: $12 - 30 pesos
Tacos: $5 pesos
Baño: $3 pesos
Hot dog: $10 pesos

That´s really all you need to get started. My fulbright interview is scheduled for Saturday October 2nd so I don´t know if I´ll be able to come down for Oysterfest.

Saludos,

Taylor

Comments

julianne said…
i just listened to el rey, you just reminded me that I am missing OYSTERFEST!! NOOO!

this is almost worse than missing thanksgiving!
mom said…
Fulbright Interview...that's good news! Oysterfest can wait until next year when Julianne is back from her adventures. Dad and I will eat enough for both of you. But, plan on it for the first weekend in October, 2011.
Taylor-See you on Sunday. I look forward to hearing about your trip in person.

Popular posts from this blog

First Week of Classes

Spanish Bull Fighting

The week after