Money

So in Argentina money is complicated. There is a huge difference between having money, and being able to spend money. For example, yesterday I went to the supermarket to buy a carton of eggs (I wanted an omelet you see). I had a ten peso note which is about $3.33, so a fairly low amount of money. The eggs cost 2.70 pesos so I tried to use my 10 peso note. The attendant didn't have enough change for me. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! That's like $2! How can you run a business if you can give give change for $2. So I had to put my eggs back and leave the supermarket, and forgo my omelet because my only other bill was 100 pesos. I know I already said that it's annoying that ATM's only dispense 100 pesos notes, but let me rephrase it. It is super unbelievably, maximally, ultra inconvenient. Nobody has change for large bills because there isn't enough small currency. Plastic is out because nobody has the equipment for it except really high end stuff. Also to reinterate that you can't take out more than $100 at a time from the ATM, and can only withdraw a maximum of $300 on any day, which is making paying for my apartment a three day event since I have to put around $1100 for my first month, damage deposit, and tenant deposit.
There is good news though, don't despair. I spoke entirely in Spanish with three other exchange students (Holanda, Alemania, y Colombia) for 9 hours yesterday. We met for a drink at 7 pm, and it turned into drinks, which turned into dinner, which turned into coffee, which turned into going clubbing. The whole night ran me around $20, yikes! I have to take you guys to these local parrillas. I got a huge plate of bbq meats with chicken, steaks, ribs, sasuage, and a few things that I would rather not know what they were, and it cost me 26 pesos (I'm not going to convert costs anymore, divide by 3 for USD). Not to mention the 15 peso bottle of Malbec Wine from Mendoza. Its great. I also spoke with two americans who just finished studying in colombia for 5 months entirely in spanish two nights ago over a liter of beer. So I'm improving I think. Also, I've began to settle into a rythm. Normally I leave at around 12 pm, I'll pick up a choripan while I'm walking (sasuage sandwhich with a salsa-like sauce), and walk around for about 4 hours exploring. Two days ago I went to a huge ecological preserve just outside of downtown on the Rio de la Plata side and it was amazing. Check out the pictures. Yesterday I went to the Recoleta Cemetary, Cemetario, and it was creepy but fascinating. Basically picture a region the side of 4 city blocks with nothing but masoleums. I would walk down thin paths between ornate tombs where you could look in through the glass and see coffins stacked on top of each other. You'll have to check this one out. My roommates arrive tomorrow I think and we'll get our apartment soon enough so I can get settled in. And for no real reason I'm going to make a list of non-related facts about Argentina and my trip:
1) I've been wearing the same pair of jeans for 17 consecutive days
2) The following things are luxuries: queue tips, conditioner/soap (shapoo works for all these things), clean socks/underwear/shirts, vegitable/fruits, small bills, milk, pianos, playing soccer, tortillas, the simpson's in English, and non-sugary cereal)
3) Every road is one-way
4) There are dogs everywhere, domesticated and stray because Argentineans don't have Bob Barker to remeind them to keep their pets spayed and neutered. (Nobody likes Drew Carry)
5) The Winter here is similar to our late spring
6) Yesterday I ate cow intestine and kidney
7) Brasilians and Argentineans don't like each other
8) Everyone thinks I'm German
8.5) Everyone listens to American music here, Coldplay, 80's Rock Ballads, and lots of Techno)
9) I had an early Saturday night last night... I went to bed at 5 a.m.
10) To get into or out of any building you have to be buzzed in, including some businesses
That about sums it up for now, with the list and all, more news/lists to come. Oh by the way, I saw an Atlanta Celtic's jersey for sale in an official Adidas store. That's got to be the worst knock-off in history. Not only that it was right next to the New York Raven's jersey. chao.

Comments

MZ said…
Taylor, Taylor, Taylor, my greenhorn friend. Why didn't you just tell the guy to keep the 60 cents in change so you could go on with keeping your eggs? Or better yet, buy something else with that 7.3 pesos (like some fruit/ vegetables)?

How did you find out that Brazilians and Argentineans don't like each other? That's interesting, but I guess it explains the animosity on the pitch.

BTW I think I read in one of your previous blogs that one of your roommates is a chick. Can you verify this?
taylor said…
I couldn't be asked to buy fruits and vegetables because the line was inconceivably long. So Brazilians think that Argentinians are stuck up wannabe Europeans. And Argentinians think they are better than the rest of South America (Brazil included). Of course this is a huge generalization. And also like you said there is the matter of two competing soccer super-powers jockeying for superiority. I heard a story from a Brazilian in my hostel that his friend got kicked out of a bar because he said he didn't like Maradona. Yes, I can verify that one of my roommates is a chick. Is that weird? And about letting the guy keep the 7.3 some odd pesos. Although to us that is nothing, like 2 dollars, in Argentina I could buy a hell of a lot of stuff for 7.3 pesos. I could buy an amazing steak to cook up for the night for about 7.3 pesos. Later man.
MZ said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
MZ said…
Wow, so why didn't you buy the eggs AND the steak? It's a cardiologist's nightmare, but you're still young, ha.

Yeah I was watching a video of Argentine soccer fans, and I was somewhat surprised/but not really that so many people looked Caucasian. But then again, they DID lose a war to Britain. Argentina's HDI and GDP per capita are higher than Brazil's, but not by that much. Which makes the stuck up part kind of weird. Racism, I guess, right?

No, I think it's great that you have a girl roommate. I mean, that way you don't have to do any cooking or cleaning, ha! But then again, you won't be able to walk around the apartment naked. Or wait...unless...

Popular posts from this blog

First Week of Classes

Spanish Bull Fighting

The week after