High School

I'm completely exhausted. After waking up at 6:30 am for the third time (there was no charm involved), going to class until 5:30 pm, soccer until 7:30 pm, and basketball until 9:30 pm, I can officially declare that I am tired. It's a good tired though, because you know you did something productive, but tired nonetheless. At soccer practice I could play with the Argentinians but I was by no means a stand out. They are tricky little creatures, and very clever on the ball. However, when it comes to defending my size give me a huge advantage over the hobbit-like Argentinians. I am told the team is lacking both center backs so that may end up where I am, it's my position anyway. Also, Argentinians are really lazy when it comes to defending. There's no glamour in defending I guess, so they can't be bothered with it. Two American girls wanted to play for the girls team but at the last second the practice was canceled so they came to play with the guys team as they were already out there. Bad decision. I have a feeling that girls soccer in Argentina is looked upon the same way that girls powder puff football is looked at in the United States. There were good (for girls) but the Argentinians found it incredibly amusing that they were trying to practice with us. I couldn't understand most of the things they said but I am pretty sure they were derrogortory. Later was basketball. Let me start of by saying "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... (*breath) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahah"
Again another dis to girls sports though I don't mean it, they played like girls trapped in guys bodies. I smashed on the Argentinians and I'm not even that good. They had two really tall guys, probably 6'7, who weighed like 150 pounds. They were stick figures and they had no idea how to hold, dribble, shoot, steal, pass, rebound, or touch a basketball. It was great fun, although really frustrating because the quality of play was really really low. Since I was new they initially assumed I was bad, pretty standard precedure if you've ever played basketball, and put me one of the worse guys there. I didn't even have to guard him, I wanted him to shoot the ball because it was 50:50 that the ball would hit the backboard if he "shot" it. Okay, that's an exageration. 20:80. Since I didn't have to really guard him I would just sneak around the court, double team people, and steal the ball. Also, I found it hilarious that everyone was wearing soccer shorts for basketball. Basketball was a huge boost for my self-esteem. Everyone asked if I played for the team at my college, and when I told them I wasn't nearly good enough they couldn't comprehend it. Not good enough? They don't really get it I guess. However, I am in a dilema, because I can a) play basketball and smash b) play soccer and be average c) do both of these things and be very tired. We'll see. The Argentinians found it incomprehensible that I would consider doing both. And about the infamous fire pole apartment. Well, like I said the owner told us that there were other people that also wanted the apartment and that they would stay for 9 months, while we had told him that we would stay for 4 months and that there was a possibility that one of our roommates, Axel, would stay for 10 months but that he didn't know. The owner called us and told us we could have it, IF we paid all ten months for all four people up front. First off, Axel wasn't even sure if he was going to stay for 10 months, additionally we would have to front the money for Axel's future 3 roommates for 6 months; furthermroe, simple calculations tell us that this is 1900 x 10 = $19,000 plus a security deposit. HE WANTED 20 GRAND UP FRONT. Now I've done stupid things in my life: orange juice in my cereal bowl, drunken roller skating (why I have a scar), and only brining one pair of jeans to Argentina, but I am not about to front $20,000 to an Argentinian. To put that in more tangible terms that like *insert startling analogy*. So we said it was impossible and were denied the apartment. BUT he called us back, "Ok, Ok" he said, "Only 7 months." What a fucking discount, now it's only $15,000, thank you kind Argentinine man. Needless to say we didn't get it. If we could all have a moment of silence for the fire pole. __________________________________________________________________
Thank you. So back to square one I guess. While I was doing soccer/basketball my two French roommates went to visit three separate apartments. Nothing impressive; but then the phone rings and its the guy again. We can have it, if we pay 4 months (the time we'll be here) in advance, and we said yes. We got it. We got it. Hello fire pole, sky lights, swimming pool, and Palermo Soho. We'll be renting the apartment from the 22nd of August till the 22nd of December so we won't lose any money from our current flat because we can give the owner 15 days notice which is all we need in the contract. And I'll make sure that we got an airtight contract from this guy because he went from 10 months pre-pay to 4 months pre-pay. The place/neighborhood is awesome and I can't wait to show it to you guys via pictures and various other forms of media. Oh ya, the title of the blog is high school. I guess I'll explain that. My life is very similar to how it was in high school. Waking up early, all day of classes, only 1600 students, small campus, tiny classes, and after school I have soccer and basketball. I'm very very busy, and, like high school, the only time I have to myself is, well..., right now. Stop taking my free time, I have things to do. I must go.

Comments

MZ said…
Well I guess my theory about Argentine players being good at basketball went down the drain pretty quickly...

Sounds like you have a pretty full plate. If you were going to chose between one of the two sports though, personally I would think that soccer would suit you better. I mean, yeah, you stomp on those Argentine fools at basketball, but aside from making you feel better, do you think that you'll improve at it all (basketball that is; not stomping on hapless noobs)?

Meanwhile, if you keep giving the hobbits chase around on the pitch, I'd think that your skills with respect to the Argentines may progress from merely OK to among the better/ best players by December.

I didn't know you played center back (or centre-back, as it's known in the parts of the Anglosphere that care about soccer). Maybe you ought to put on some weight so you can really push those guys around!
taylor said…
Maybe I just encountered a particularly bad bunch of Argentinians. They can't all be bad at basketball if they won the 2004 Olympics. I forgot to mention this, the key is all fucked up. Instead of coming straight down from the elbow it goes diagonally out. I'm going to go to both practices again to make sure soccer is what I want to do, but I am leaning toward it. Also, I already have a substantially size advantage on the Argentinians, the last thing I want to do is put on weight because I would get slower. Later.
kjadh said…
you're a funny motherfucker taylor. keep up the blogging.

Popular posts from this blog

First Week of Classes

Spanish Bull Fighting

The week after