New Piso

So I in a totally new apartment now in Belgrano. It seems like old news to me but I realized I haven't updated the blog since Friday. The old apartment was ok, but the bario sucked, and the owner was a bruja (witch). The new apartment is the complete opposite. When we first visited the new apartment there were no desks so we told them we wanted desks and wa la, we had them. In the old apartment we didn't have heat for the first 10, and last 5 days; but the heat has worked flawlessly in the new one. In the new apartment everything is clean and works; in the old apartment when we arrived there was still garbage from the people before, you couldn't put any wieght on the bottom stair, and two of the slats in the sofas were broken so you could only sit on one side. In the new apartment when you leave the front door you are on a wide side walk with small cafe's and shops; in the old apartment when you left you looked out onto a delapidated park and walls with graffiti. But above all, I don't have to go through the multi-daily ordeal of taking the elevator of death to the 11th floor. So it's better to say the least. We all had a sorteo (drawing) as to the new rooms and I ended up losing and getting "la pequena" as we call it. But it's grown on me. There's some pictures of the new apartment uploaded. As soon as we arrived to the other apartment we knew we could not stay so now that we are in a pernament location things are begining to feel more like home. Also there is cable! I'm watching soccer right now.
When you guys come down in December I think we are going to spend 7 days in Bariloche and 7 days in Buenos Aires. I've seen some of the condo's we are considering and they are unbelievably good looking. Bariloche is a mountainy lakey region of Argentina renound for it's natural beauty.
My family recently acquired two kittens, and I only bring this up because my sister named one of the cats Jacque Cousteau. I'm sure she did this only after carefully considering the irony of naming an animal that is deathly afraid or water/wetness and enjoys eating fish, with a french explorer who devoted his life to studying the ocean and marine life conservation. But it's a good name.
Also, I recently finished the first course pack for my international relations class and I will summarize what I learned. 1800's: Napolean, Industrial Revolution, Political Revolution, Balance of Power, Imperialism, and Peace. 1900-1950: WWI, WWII, USSR, Comunism, Capitalism, Fascism, early Cold War, United Nations. If you would like to brush up on any of these areas shoot me and e-mail and we can discuss it more in depth. Coming soon: more Cold War, Vietnam, Middle East, China.
In my Relaciones Internacionales Contemporaneas, pretty sure you can translate that one, our professor assigned us some Charles Dickens, which is bad enough. However, when he handed us the text, it was translated into Spanish. First, Dicken's scantly speaks English: exibit A
"Father Time is not always a hard parent, and, though he tarries for none of his children, often lays his hand lightly upon those who have used him well; making them old men and women inexorably enough, but leaving their hearts and spirits young and in full vigor. With such people the gray head is but the impression of the old fellow's hand in giving them his blessing, and every wrinkle but a notch in the quiet calendar of a well-spent life."
Now imagine this translated into Spanish. Exibit B:

濎忯投色特亚热,余亩,覿命迨阿法孤残特好毛泽东,盆,太咯飞蛾的阿迨忣破洞哦[哦哦哦哦哦哦哦哦日俄底日日日日日日日敌机飞瓦列飞蛾哦鿞诶日日日地得到都冒应邀,照,已垦,破哦破日册飞动米到死佛;册求阿,阿彻得代迶苛刻
乒乓翃
So, I don't know what I'm going to do about that. Ok, well that's all I guess. I just learned that Obama picked his VP, but that's probably really old news. Later.

Chuck Norris Facts:
1. Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
2. Chuck Norris can lead a horse to water AND make it drink
3. Chuck Norris does a push up, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the world down
4. Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.
5.
Chuck Norris sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled martial arts ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Chuck roundhouse kicked the devil in the face and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every second Wednesday of the month.
6.
Chuck Norris built a time machine and went back in time to stop the JFK assassination. As Oswald shot, Chuck Norris met all three bullets with his beard, deflecting them. JFK's head exploded out of sheer amazement.
7.
Chuck Norris can touch MC Hammer.
8.
Chuck Norris knows where Carmen Sandiego is.

Comments

Unknown said…
i do like the irony of the name jacque cousteau, but i actually thought of the name after reading one of your blogs- and of course in honor of the brilliant flight of the conchords
taylor said…
i guess my sarcasm wasn't heavy enough in my blog :)

Popular posts from this blog

First Week of Classes

Spanish Bull Fighting

The week after